A slip and fall accident, no matter how it occurs, can cause serious injuries. If a property owner or merchant is to blame, injured victims of a fall can be compensated for their losses in many cases. These are by no means easy cases to win. An injured victim must demonstrate that he or she suffered an injury that has resulted in pain and suffering and lost wages, among other types of recoverable damages, and that the injury was the direct result of another party’s negligence. Reach out to a slip and fall injury lawyer today for help pursuing the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Slip and Falls in Spartanburg, Anderson, and Greenville
There are many potential causes of slip and fall cases that can be broken down into three broad categories — surface conditions, environmental conditions, and ladders and stairs.
Surface condition hazards arise when there are:
- Uneven floors with no warning signs that the grade is about to change
- Recently mopped or waxed floors
- Loose floorboards, rugs, or mats
- Potholes in parking lots or crosswalks
- Spilled liquids that have not been cleaned up, such as in a supermarket aisle
- Grease or oil that is mopped up but not cleaned properly, keeping the surface slippery
- Ice that is not salted following snow or ice showers
Environmental condition hazards include:
- Trash or debris on the floor
- Glare on shiny surfaces
- Poor lighting
- Electric cords and wires that run across the floor
- Transitions from one type of surface to another, such as from carpet to wood
Ladders and stairs are a common place where slip and fall accidents occur. Conditions that make these areas prone to accidents include:
- No handrail present
- Part of handrail is not bolted to the wall
- The stairs are wet
- Trash or debris on the stairs
- Poor lighting or burned out lightbulbs
- Failure to secure a ladder or have someone hold it
- Using a chair or other piece of furniture instead of a ladder
- Stepping on the bottom shelf to reach for something on a higher shelf
Who is Responsible?
A slip and fall attorney can help hold the responsible party liable for all of your injuries by proving that
- The property owner caused the dangerous condition
- The property owner knew of the dangerous condition and ignored it by not removing the hazard or repairing and maintaining the property to avoid dangerous conditions from developing
- The property owner should have discovered the hazard through normal operation of business or routine property maintenance
Even if the property owner was not present at the time you suffered your slip and fall accident, their agents or employees are responsible for maintaining safe premises. If the property owner’s agents or employees were negligent, the property owner will be held legally responsible for your injuries.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
Injuries that result from slip and fall accidents are varied and depend on the part of the body struck upon impact with the floor. When injuries occur during a fall, they often include:
- Broken bones
- Brain and spinal cord injuries
How a Slip and Fall Lawyer can Help You
Your slip and fall lawyer is knowledgeable about premises liability law and recovery for injuries. Your attorney’s job is to prove the responsibility of the property owner and his or her failure to follow basic safety and accident protocols.
If you can prove the property owner’s negligence was the direct cause of your slip and fall injuries, you may be compensated for damages such as medical costs, loss of earning potential, wages lost due to missed work, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.
There are many ways a slip and fall injury lawyer Greenville, SC can help you or your loved one receive compensation after a slip and fall accident. Not all cases go to court before they are resolved, a negotiated settlement may by possible depending on the nature of your injuries. If a negotiated settlement is not possible, then a lawsuit in court will quickly follow. Whether we are litigating a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit, a slip and fall lawyer in our personal injury practice group is available to fight for you.
To learn more about what our experienced slip and fall attorneys can do for you in Greenville, Anderson, Pickens, Laurens, Spartanburg, and other surrounding areas of Upstate South Carolina please contact Hunter W. Morris, LLC. Our telephone number is 864-679-9999 or 855.679.9997 (toll free).